New to This Edition
- NEW Anatomy/Physiology/Terminology chapter prepares students for proper coding by providing a good understanding of these basic concepts.
- Smaller sections and improved flow of the text means students understand and master the information more easily.
- EXPANDED illustrations of sample patient charts with improved explanations of proper code assignment.
- Fully updated content, including new codes and coding guidelines. New focus on ICD-10 content for those instructors who want to prepare students for ICD-10 implementation.
- NEW Evolve companion website contains interactive coding exercises and other review exercises for students' practice.
- Emphasis on physician documentation prepares students to locate and determine the actual "diagnosis" and "procedure" from documentation.
- Coding reference tools, in an improved and streamlined form for the 4th edition, encompass important chapter content.
- Coding concepts are built upon basic ICD-9-CM and CPT concepts rather than a body system perspective for greater ease and productivity from students.
- Stop and Practice exercises, simulated medical practices, Chapter Review exercises with practical applications, and additional exercises in the student workbook means students constantly practice and reinforce their understanding of the information.
Write Your Own Review
Section I: Crucial Role of Documentation, Anatomy and Physiology, and Medical Terminology in the Coding Process
1. Anatomy, Physiology, and Medical Terminology Review
2. Crucial Role of Documentation
Section II: ICD-9-CM Diagnostic Coding
3. Determining Physician Diagnosis
4. Using the ICD-9-CM Code Book
5. V Codes and E Codes
6. ICD-9-CM Tables
7. Coding Special Complexities
Section III: CPT and HCPCS Procedural Coding
9. Determining Codeable Services and Applying Modifiers
10. Using CPT
11. Evaluation and Management Services
12. Anesthesia Services
13. Surgery Services
14. Coding Complexities of Surgical Procedures
15. Radiology Services
16. Pathology Services
17. Medicine Services
18. HCPCS Level II Codes
Section IV: The Reimbursement Perspective
19. Coding from a Reimbursement Perspective
Section V: Facility Coding and Reimbursement Processes
20. Hospital and Facility Coding
21. Hospital and Facility Reimbursement Process
Section VI: Monitoring/Compliance and Certification Review
22. Monitoring and Compliance Process
23. The Certification Process
24. You Learned It, You Earned It: Get that Coding Job!
Create an Account
My Account Information