10 % off Paperback
A Textbook of Perioperative Care
Publication DateLearn More
Woodhead and Wicker's new text will be the foremost reference source for all perioperative practitioners. The content mirrors the dynamics of modern perioperative practice by focusing on surgical interventions in all the environments in which it is currently practised, including A&E departments, general practice clinics, intensive care units, and at the site of serious accidents. Theatre practice is becoming increasingly specialist; this book does not attempt to to reflect the needs of all specialties, but instead concentrates on the principles of practice, applicable to any setting and any specialty. It has a very practical focus - it aims to be the book that nurses and ODPs reach for in order to answer their practical questions - but is not be procedure-driven. Instead, it sets out the principles of perioperative practice, from which practitioners will be able to develop their own practice techniques.
- Reflects principles of practice, applicable to any perioperative environment
- Strong practical focus
- Edited by two of the biggest 'names' in the international perioperative nursing sphere, with contributions from other well-known and authoritative sources
- Excellent opportunities to develop links with the National Association of Theatre Nurses and the European Operating Room Association
- The team of contributors are experienced practitioners working directly with perioperative patients or in perioperative education
- An original model for ethical practice is proposed: the Reid model is the first such ethical model to be proposed for the perioperative environment
- Includes one of the only chapters in any perioperative book which specifically focuses on the care of the elderly.
- The research chapter encourages the use of evidence based practice and the development of perioperative research
- The unique chapter on care of the mentally ill will support practitioners who are not qualified in psychiatry to care for mentally ill patients. This is an area where there is a great information deficit
|Author Information||By Kate Woodhead, Independent Operating Theatre Consultant, President, International Federation of Perioperative Nurses; Past Chairman, National Association of Perioperative Nurses and Paul Wicker, BSc, RGN, RMN, CCNS(Operating Department Nursing), PG Cert in Teaching and Learning, RNT, Programme Leader, Operating Department Practice, Edge Hill College of Higher Education, Liverpool; Past Editor of the British Journal of Perioperative Nursing; Past Chairman, Editorial Board, National Association of Theatre Nurses; External Examiner, University of Teeside, UK; Edited by Kate Woodhead, Independent Operating Theatre Consultant, President, International Federation of Perioperative Nurses; Past Chairman, National Association of Perioperative Nurses and Paul Wicker, BSc, RGN, RMN, CCNS(Operating Department Nursing), PG Cert in Teaching and Learning, RNT, Programme Leader, Operating Department Practice, Edge Hill College of Higher Education, Liverpool; Past Editor of the British Journal of Perioperative Nursing; Past Chairman, Editorial Board, National Association of Theatre Nurses; External Examiner, University of Teeside, UK|
|Published Reviews||This textbook serves as both an excellent introduction and as a thorough reference source for more experienced staff. It is attractively structured, with a mix of photographs, charts and bullet points offering a variety of routes to the information... This book does much to demonstrate that the professional practitioner provides holistic care for the perioperative patient... An excellent chapter on leadership discusses bullying and harassment, as well as management strategies to combat them.
Anne Mottram, Lecturer in Nursing, Salford University
Nursing Standard, Volume 20, No 41
|Table of Content||Accountability and professional practice. Ethical dimensions of perioperative practice. Risk management.Leadership and teamwork. Assuring quality services. Information management. Infection control principles.Decontamination of re-usable medical devices. Research and development. Patient assessment. Care of the patient undergoing anaesthesia. Care of the patient undergoing surgery.Care of the post-anaesthetic patient. Day surgery. Surgery in the community. Surgery in specialised settings. Emergency surgery. Care of children and adolescents.Care of obstetric patients. Care of the elderly in theatre .Care of patients with serious or multi-systemdisease. Care of patients who have highly infections disease.Care of patients who are immunocompromised. Care of patients with mental health needs. Care of patients undergoing transplantation.|
|Trim||246 X 189 (7 11/16 x 9 7/16)|
|Stock Status||In Stock|
Write Your Own Review