Foundations of Nursing, 9th Edition
- Step-by-step instructions for more than 100 skills show nursing techniques and procedures along with the rationales for each.
- Clear, easy-to-understand coverage of skills across the lifespan includes maternity, pediatrics, adults, and older adults.
- Nursing care plans use a case-study format to emphasize patient goals and outcomes, and include critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Complete mathematics review covers basic arithmetic skills and dosage calculation, followed by a discussion of medication administration including IV therapy.
- Safety Alerts cover issues related to safe patient care in a variety of settings.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes provide synopses of research articles that apply to nursing, along with nursing implications for the LPN/LVN.
- Coordinated Care boxes promote comprehensive patient care with other members of the health care team, focusing on prioritization, assignment, supervision, collaboration, delegation, and leadership topics.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Communication boxes illustrate communication strategies through real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Patient Teaching boxes focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members, and include topics such as hospital discharge instructions.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Lifespan Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the patient.
Master the skills that LPN/LVNs need to care for patients across the lifespan! Foundations of Nursing, 9th Edition provides an essential guide to nursing care for pediatric, maternity, adult, and older adult patients. Through use of the nursing process, you will develop clinical judgment skills to assess patient needs, develop nursing care plans, and plan effective nursing interventions. Case studies provide practice with critical thinking and clinical judgment, and new Next Generation NCLEX®-format questions help you apply theory to practice. Written by nursing educators Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text also helps you prepare for success on the NCLEX-PN® examination.
|Author Information||By Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, Indiana and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing, Ivy Tech Community College, Terre Haute, Indiana|
|Table of Content||
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing
1. The Evolution of Nursing
2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing
5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice
7. Asepsis and Infection Control
8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility
9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient's Environment
11. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions
12. Vital Signs
13. Physical Assessment
15. Elimination and Gastric Intubation
16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health
17. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration
18. Fluids and Electrolytes
19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies
20. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
21. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
22. Surgical Wound Care
23. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Lifespan
24. Lifespan Development
25. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death
26. Health Promotion and Pregnancy
27. Labor and Delivery
28. Care of the Mother and Newborn
29. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs
30. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent
31. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care
32. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder
33. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing
34. Concepts of Mental Health
35. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder
36. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing
37. Home Health Nursing
38. Long-Term Care
39. Rehabilitation Nursing
40. Hospice Care
Unit VII: From Graduate to Professional
41. Professional Roles and Leadership
Appendix A: Abbreviations
Appendix B: Laboratory Reference Values
|Trim||276 x 216 (8 1/2 x 10 7/8)|
|Stock Status||Coming Soon|