Handbook of Perioperative and Procedural Patient Safety
Offering a concise yet comprehensive review of current practices in surgery and patient safety, Handbook of Perioperative and Procedural Patient Safety is an up-to date, practical resource for practicing surgeons, anesthesiologists, surgical nurses, hospital administrators, and surgical office staff. Edited by Drs. Juan A. Sanchez and Robert S. D. Higgins and authored by expert contributors from Johns Hopkins, it provides an expansive look at the scope of the problem, causes of error, minimizing errors, surgical suite and surgical team design, patient experience, and other related topics.
- Presents the knowledge and experience of a multidisciplinary team from Johns Hopkins University, which created the Comprehensive Unit-based Safety Program (CUSP), an approach for improving safety culture and engaging frontline clinicians to identify and mitigate defects in care delivery.
- Discusses the scope and prevalence of perioperative harm, causes of error in healthcare, and perioperative never events.
- Covers safe practices, cognitive workload and fatigue, and the effects of noise in the OR.
- Includes several team-based chapters such as the dynamics of surgical teams, safer perioperative team communication, and the culture of safety.
- Consolidates today's available information and guidance into a single, convenient resource.
|Author Information||Edited by Juan A Sanchez, MD, Department of Surgery, Saint Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, CT, USA; Robert S. D. Higgins, MD, MSHA, The William Stewart Halsted Professor, Chair and Surgeon-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Department of Surgery and Paula S. Kent, DrPH, MSN, MBA, RN, CPPS, Patient Safety Specialist, Global Collaborations, TeamSTEPPS Program Lead, Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality Johns Hopkins Medicine|
|Table of Content|| Preface
1 The Scope and Prevalence of Perioperative Harm
2 The Science of Human Error
3 Systems Thinking in the Operating Room
4 Resilience, Brittleness, And the Law of Stretched Systems
5 Dynamics of Surgical Teams
6 Human Factors and Ergonomics in the Operating Room
7 The High Reliability Operating Room
8 Culture and climate of Safety
9 Structured Perioperative Team Communication
10 Occupational wellness and resilience for surgical teams
11 The Patient Experience
12 Preoperative Preparation of the Patient
13 Safe Anesthesia and Procedural Sedation
14 Identifying and learning from Causal Factors of Errors
15 Perioperative Medication Practices
16 Healthcare-Associated Infections
17 Redesigning the Operating Room for Safety
18 Role of Technology and Medical Devices
18 Role of Technology and medical device development
19 ERAS-Enhanced recovery after surgery
20 Surgical Safety & Racial,Ethnic, and Cultural Disparities
21 Operating Room Hazards
21 Failure to Rescue and Failure to Perceive Deterioration
21 Cognitive Workload, Distractions, and Fatigue
21 Age-Specific Considerations in Perioperative Safety
21 Patient Identification Errors
23 Preventing Healthcare-Associated Infections in the O.R.
|Trim||235 x 191 (7 1/2 x 9 1/4)|
|Stock Status||Coming Soon|