Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 21st Edition
- Follows a clear, consistent progression beginning with principles common to surgical specialties including fluid and electrolyte management, metabolic support, and wound healing. Subsequent sections review the management of injury, transplantation, oncology, breast, endocrine, and abdominal procedures.
- Covers key topics such as emerging surgical technologies and devices, regenerative medicine, the latest concepts in cancer biology and treatments, and evidence-based management and treatment.
- Emphasizes the most up-to-date minimally invasive techniques and the use of robotics when indicated.
- Features more than 2,000 superb illustrations and intraoperative photographs and 25 procedural videos that facilitate quick comprehension of surgical techniques.
- Includes more schematic diagrams, summary tables, boxes, and algorithms that provide a rich resource for reviewing surgical techniques and preparing for in-training and board exams.
- Shares the expertise of dozens of new authors and includes two new chapters on robotic surgery and fetal surgery.
- Contains fully updated content on topics encountered by general surgery residents in training as well as in-depth coverage of subspecialty areas including head and neck, thoracic, vascular, urology, neurosurgery, pediatrics, and gynecology.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
|Author Information||Edited by Courtney M. Townsend, Jr., JR,MD, Professor,Robertson-Poth Distinguished Chair in General Surgery,Department of Surgery,The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston, Texas|
"This is a much-needed update of a classic book. It has been completely revised and updated, and it remains true to the purpose of the original."
© Doody's Review Service, 2021, Carol Scott-Conner, MD, PhD, MBA (University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics) Doody's Score: 98-5 Stars!
|Table of Content||
1. The Rise of Modern Surgery: An Overview
2. Ethics and Professionalism in Surgery
3. The Inflammatory Response
4. Shock, Electrolytes and Fluid
5. Metabolism in Surgical Patients
6. Wound Healing
7. Regenerative Medicine
8. Critical Assessment of Surgical Outcomes and Health Services
9. Safety in the Surgical Environment
10. Principles of Preoperative and Operative Surgery
11. Surgical Infections and Antibiotic Use
12. Surgical Complications
13. Surgery in the Geriatric Patient
14. Anesthesiology Principles, Pain Management, and Conscious Sedation
15. Emerging Technology in Surgery: Informatics, Electronics
16. Robotic Surgery
17. Management of Acute Trauma
18. The Difficult Abdominal Wall
19. Emergency Care of Musculoskeletal Injuries
21. Bites and Stings
22. Surgical Critical Care
23. Bedside Surgical Procedures
24. The Surgeon's Role in Mass Casualty Incidents
25. Transplantation Immunobiology and Immunosuppression
26. Liver Transplantation
27. Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation
28. Small Bowel Transplantation
29. Tumor Biology and Tumor Markers
30. Tumor Immunology and Immunotherapy
31. Melanoma and Cutaneous Malignancies
32. Soft Tissue Sarcomas
33. Bone Tumors
34. Head and Neck
35. Diseases of the Breast
36. Breast Reconstruction
38. The Parathyroid Glands
39. Endocrine Pancreas
40. The Adrenal Glands
41. The Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndromes
43. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Hiatal Hernia
44. Abdominal Wall, Umbilicus, Peritoneum, Mesenteries, Omentum and Retroperitoneum
46. Acute Abdomen
47. Acute Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
48. Morbid Obesity
50. Small Intestine
51. The Appendix
52. Colon and Rectum
54. The Liver
55. Biliary System
56. Exocrine Pancreas
57. The Spleen
58. Lung, Chest Wall, Pleura and Mediastinum
59. Congenital Heart Disease
60. Acquired Heart Disease: Coronary Insufficiency
61. Acquired Heart Disease: Valvular
62. The Aorta
63. Peripheral Arterial Disease
64. Vascular Trauma
65. Venous Disease
66. The Lymphatics
67. Pediatric Surgery
69. Plastic Surgery
70. Hand Surgery
71. Gynecologic Surgery
72. Surgery in the Pregnant Patient
73. Fetal Surgery
74. Urologic Surgery
|Trim||276 x 216 (8 1/2 x 10 7/8)|
|Stock Status||In Stock|