10 % off Paperback
The Science & Practice of Manual Therapy , 2nd Edition
This practical book offers an extensive examination of how manual therapy (MT) techniques work, and how to match the most suitable techniques to different conditions. Drawing on evidence-based research, it explores the physiological, neurological and psychophysiological responses of the human body to MT techniques. In doing so, it helps MT practitioners deliver a more effective and safer treatment for a broader range of conditions.
- Comprehensive overview helps provide an understanding of how and why MT techniques work.
- Content is written in jargon-free, easy-to-read style, with most terms explained.
- Text is enhanced by over 120 diagrams, photographs and tables.
- Manual pain relief is extensively discussed throughout the book.
- Section 1 examines the direct effects of manual therapy on connective tissue and muscle physiology, examining how MT can help assist repair and adaptation processes in these tissues.
- Section 2 examines the effect of MT on the neuromuscular system, identifying conditions where neuromuscular dysfunctions can be treated by MT.
- Section 3 examines the psychological, emotional and behavioral impacts of MT, in addition to the psychophysiological affects of MT, including psychomotor, neuroendocrine, and autonomic responses.
- More than 1,000 references relevant to manual therapy are included, making this an essential source book for students and researchers of MT.
|Author Informaiton||By Eyal Lederman, DO, PhD, Eyal Lederman, Director, Centre for Professional Development in Osteopathy and Manual Therapy, London, UK; Visiting Professor, University College London (UCL) Institute of Orthopaedics and Musculoskeletal Science; and Practising Osteopath|
|Table of Content||1. Introduction
SECTION 1 The effect of manipulation on the tissue organization
2. Manual therapy in the tissue dimension
3. Assisting repair with manual therapy
4. Affecting fluid flow with manual therapy
5. Assisting adaptation: manual stretching
6. Pain relief by manual therapy: the local tissue dimension
7. Overview and summary of Section 1
SECTION 2 Neurological organization in manual therapy
8. Manual therapy in the neurological dimension
9. The motor system
10. Proprioceptive stimulation by manual therapy techniques
11. Affecting the lower motor system with manual therapy
12. The adaptive code for neuromuscular re-abilitation
13. Abilities, inability and re-abilitation
14. Treating the intact motor system: behavioural and psychomotor dysfunctions
15. Neuromuscular organisation in musculoskeletal damage
16. Re-abilitating the damaged motor system
17. Pain relief by manual therapy - neurological mechanisms
18. Muscle tone
19. Overview and summary of Section 2
SECTION 3 Psychological and psychophysiological processes in manual therapy
20. Manual therapy in the psychological/psychophysiological dimension
21. Origins of therapeutic potential of touch
22. Psychological influences of manual therapy
23. Psychophysiology of manual therapy
24. Manual therapy in the psychosomatic field
25. Touch as a therapeutic intervention
26. Pain relief by manual therapy: psychological processes
27. Overview and summary of Section 3
SECTION 4 Overview and clinical application
28. Overview and clinical application of the science
|Trim||246 X 189 (7 11/16 x 9 7/16)|
|Stock Status||In Stock|
Write Your Own Review