Thoroughly updated and revised, this definitive textbook continues to be the best available resource on the theory of optics and applications in optometry, ophthalmology, and vision science. It presents a complete overview of basic topics in optics and provides a strong foundation for further learning.
- Comprehensive information on optics makes this book the definitive source on the subject.
- A bright, two-color design enhances the text and aids the reader's understanding.
|Author Informaiton||By Mike Freeman, PhD, MPhil, BSc, MInstP(Hon), CGIA, Optics and Vision Limited, Denbigh, ClwydVisiting Professor, Department of Optometry, City University, London and Christopher Hull, Senior Lecturer, Departent of Optometry and Vision Science, City University, London|
|Table of Content||1. The basics of light and optical surfaces
2. Reflection and refraction at plane surfaces
3. Refraction and reflection at spherical surfaces
4. Thin lenses
5. Thick lenses and systems of lenses
6. Principles of optical instruments
7. Aberrations and ray tracing
8. Non-spherical and segmented optical surfaces
9. The nature of light, light sources and detectors
10. Radiometry and photometry
11. Optical materials: interaction of light and matter
12. Interference and optical films
13. Diffraction: wavefronts and images
14. Optical design: forming a good image
15. The eye as an optical instrument
Answers to exercises