- Clear, consistent chapter format facilitates learning:
- Key Terms with phonetic pronunciations and page references
- Review of Related Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Types of Drugs Prescribed, including how each works; dosages with intended responses, side effects, and adverse effects; what to do before administering; what to check after administering; and what to teach patients
- Get Ready for Practice! with Key Points, Additional Learning Resources, Review Questions, and Critical Thinking Activities
- Animations and video clips are included on the companion Evolve website.
- Everyday terminologys is used, with technical terms following in parentheses.
- A math and dosage calculation review minimizes "math anxiety" and promotes medication safety.
- Try This! boxes let students practice math and dosage calculation concepts as they learn them.
- Common Side Effects boxes use clever, easy-to-recognize icons to emphasize the side effects of drugs.
- Drug Alert!, Memory Joggers, Do-Not-Confuse, and Clinical Pitfall boxes highlight important tips for safe medication administration.
- Did You Know? boxes relate pharmacology content to everyday life.
- Wide margins provide plenty of room for note-taking.
- Examination-style review questions end each chapter, and include alternate item format questions.
Pharmacology can be difficult. But with the right text, understanding drugs and how they work doesn't have to be! Using easy-to-follow language and engaging learning tools - like Memory Joggers, Clinical Pitfalls, Do Not Confuse, and Drug Alerts - the second edition of Understanding Pharmacology: Essentials for Medication Safety helps readers really understand how drugs work. In addition to the popular critical thinking activities from the first edition, the second edition also includes more chapter review questions, updated content, and a new organization that centers on the different body systems. For students who have a limited background in the sciences and want complete preparation for licensure exams and clinical practice, there is no better choice than Understanding Pharmacology, 2nd Edition!
- Entire unit reviewing math, weights and measures, and dosage calculation minimizes readers' anxiety and promotes medication safety.
- Clever, easy-to-recognize margin icons help visual learners remember essential side effects of drugs.
- Simplified heading structure replaces intimidating terminology (i.e. pharmacokinetics) with simplified language (How These Drugs Work) to increase understanding of concepts.
- Drug Alert!, Do-Not-Confuse, and Clinical Pitfall boxes highlight important tips for safe medication administration.
- Memory Jogger boxes help readers remember important drug information.
- Get Ready for Practice sections at the end of each chapter include key points, chapter review questions, and critical thinking activities to reinforce learning.
- 10th grade reading level uses straightforward, everyday language to really enhance readers' understanding of pharmacology concepts.
- Incorporation of adult learning theory features both a simple to complex organization of material along with answers to why readers need to learn something.
|Author Information||By M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Visiting Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio and Linda A. LaCharity, PhD, RN, Formerly, Accelerated Program Director and Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Table of Content||
UNIT I: General Aspects of Pharmacology
|trim||276 x 216 (8 1/2 x 10 7/8)|