Completely updated, the 3rd edition of this practical, highly portable manual offers quick access to the most relevant health and wellness information for children -- from birth through age 21 - in the school setting. You'll find valuable guidance on developmental stages, learning domains, acute and chronic illnesses, first aid, medical syndromes, special education, and emergency illness. This edition also addresses the growing array of issues affecting today's children, including mental health disorders, disaster management, substance abuse, and school violence, as well as new threats such as West Nile virus, dermatological conditions, and the reemergence of tuberculosis. Ideal for use in school and community settings, this manual is a must-have resource for anyone who works with children.
- A best practice approach to health issues and concerns helps you provide the best possible care to students.
- A clear, consistent outline format and straightforward writing style make it easy to locate and apply essential information.
- Updated content includes important contemporary issues in schools, such as body piercing, backpack syndrome, and computer ergonomics.
- Brain Findings section offers relevant information about recent brain and neurology research, with insights on how it relates to childhood development and health.
- Numerous appendices, including the latest growth charts and immunization schedules, provide essential information for assessing school age children.
- English-Spanish translation guide for common health terms and phrases helps you communicate more effectively with Hispanic students.
- Web site resources at the end of each chapter provide reliable sources for further information and research.
- A convenient Glossary familiarizes you with important terminology and definitions used throughout the book.
|作者資訊||By Keeta DeStefano Lewis, RN, MSN, PhD, FNASN, Child Health Consultant, Healthink, Napa, CA and Bonnie J. Bear, RN, BSN, MA, School Health Consultant, San Diego, CA|
|已刊登評論||"Its delivery of information is precise, well structured and easily accessible
Nursing Standard, February 18 :: vol 23 no 24 :: 2009
|Table of Content||1. Growth and Development
2. Vision and Hearing
3. Acute Conditions
4. Chronic Conditions
5. Mental Health
6. Substance Abuse
8. Adolescent and Gender-Specific Issues
9. Special Education
10. Twenty-First Century Health Challenges
11. Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
12. First Aid
|Trim||229 x 152 (6 x 9)|